Kernel debugging over the network
Adi
2009-06-01 18:24:01 UTC
Hello,
I'm using WinDbg ver. 6.11.0001.404. My host is a notebook (Dell studio)
without a serial port, my target is an old PC without Firewire and only USB
1.0 ports. So I tought to connect my target and host machine via a cross
network (ethernet) cable. I noticed a new NET tab in "Kernel Debugging"
dialogue box, where you specify the Port Number. However I do not know how do
I set the debug parameters in the traget boot.ini in order to connect via
tcp. I could not find ANY documentation of this option (I searched for few
hours over the Internet and nothing...). Can you explain how to use this
option? thanks.
Adi
Don Burn
2009-06-01 18:33:15 UTC
You cannot do this. The test system has to be connected by serial, 1394 or
a newer than you have USB. Does the test system have a serial port? If so
you can use a USB to serial on the host.

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DDK)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4120 (20090601) __________

http://www.eset.com
Scott Noone
2009-06-01 20:47:28 UTC
Don is correct as usual. However, it does beg the question of what purpose
that mysterious "NET" tab from the Kernel Debug dialog serves. It showed up
in the last release or two with no documentation, I sent an inquiry but
didn't get much in the way of a response. It clearly opens up a port on the
local machine, I'm just wondering what support there is for the other end of
the connection.

-scott

--
Scott Noone
Consulting Associate

Pavel A.
2009-06-02 08:45:38 UTC
Scott Noone wrote:
> Don is correct as usual. However, it does beg the question of what purpose
> that mysterious "NET" tab from the Kernel Debug dialog serves. It showed up
> in the last release or two with no documentation, I sent an inquiry but
> didn't get much in the way of a response. It clearly opens up a port on the
> local machine, I'm just wondering what support there is for the other end of
> the connection.
>
> -scott

Perhaps, something for WinCE 6+.
WinCE has debugger transport over ethernet from the days of yore.
Not to mention SoftICE.

-- pa
Brycej
2009-06-03 22:58:01 UTC
While the assertion that the tab was due to WinCE was a reasonable one, it
is actually a remnant of some prototyping code we're working on.

It may not be out right away, but at least you know what's comming...

-Brycej

Scott Noone
2009-06-04 00:26:05 UTC
Thanks Bryce! Based on the lack of documentation my guess was that the tab
would disappear in the next release :)

-scott

Adi
2009-06-01 20:50:01 UTC
Thanks Don for the quick reply. So can you explain what is the purpose of the
NET tab in the Kernel Debugging dialogue box and how should it be used (or
ignored..)?
--
Adi

avivgr
2010-04-28 19:54:05 UTC
I have semi proof that debugging kernel over network exists but is omitted
from the product:

C:>strings.exe winload.exe | find /I "net"
kdnet.dll
/DEBUGPORT=NET

kdnet.dll does not exist on my machine (but kdcom.dll and kd1934.dll etc
exists). Also note the /DEBUGPORT=NET - which is undocumented.
Don Burn
2010-04-28 20:00:46 UTC
And the windbg team admitted many months ago they had an inhouse effort
for a limited environment. I don't see your "proof" changing anything
about their statement. Nor do I expect to see this as a standard
environment soon.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)

Pavel A.
2010-04-29 01:13:01 UTC
So what? SoftICE worked over ethernet and USB long ago.
But they've killed it, now kd is monopoly.
--pa

a***@gmail.com
2012-08-02 07:13:00 UTC
On Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:43:01 AM UTC+5:30, Pavel A. wrote:
> So what? SoftICE worked over ethernet and USB long ago.
> But they've killed it, now kd is monopoly.
> --pa
>
> "avivgr" <> wrote in message
> > I have semi proof that debugging kernel over network exists but is omitted
> > from the product:
> >
> > C:>strings.exe winload.exe | find /I "net"
> > kdnet.dll
> > /DEBUGPORT=NET
> >
> > kdnet.dll does not exist on my machine (but kdcom.dll and kd1934.dll etc
> > exists). Also note the /DEBUGPORT=NET - which is undocumented.

It is finally here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh439346(v=vs.85).aspx