Changing source code path in PDB file
Jason P
2007-09-24 20:04:00 UTC
How can we update the source code paths contained in a PDB file?

I always thought the source was encapsulated in the PDB until today when we
got a "Source code does not match PDB" error while trying to step through a
crash dump from a customer.

When we build a release we archive the PDBs and DLLs. From now on we'll
also archive the source files. However, I will need a way to update the
paths in the archived PDBs to point to the backup folder where I store the

Using Source Server is not an option since it is not integrated with our
source control system and seems very complex.

Thanks,
Jason
Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]
2007-09-25 09:56:10 UTC
Hi Jason,

I will perform some research on this issue and get back to you ASAP. Thanks
for your patient.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]
2007-09-26 02:07:51 UTC
Hi Jason,

Sorry for letting you wait.

I have discussed this issue with the windbg team developers.

Do you get this "Source code does not match PDB" error message in windbg or
other debuggers such as Visual Studio?

There is a message in windbg about source files changing but it's based on
a particular run of windbg and uses the last-write time on the file. If
the last-write time on a source file changes windbg will detect that on a
restart/reload and put up the message. It isn't connected to any notion of
a "correct" file, just that something changed.

You cannot change the path to the source file as stored in the pdb using
any officially sanctioned tools. And furthermore, any unsanctioned tools
are likely to fail because of string size issues. Now presuming that you
are using windbg, you don't need to change these values within the PDB
because you can simply set a source path that will map to wherever you
archive the source files.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]
2007-10-01 03:59:56 UTC
Hi Jason,

Have you reviewed my reply to you? Does setting the source path with
".srcpath" command work for you? If you still need any help, please feel
free to feedback, thanks.\

Marcus Lorentschk
2010-09-28 09:03:51 UTC
Hello Jeffrey,

we have the same problem. We are using VS2008 to debug or files, and the path of our source files has changed. So we need to change the source files inside the pdb. Is there any possibiliy to do that?

Or is there any other solution for our problem possible?

Best regards

Scott Noone
2010-09-28 14:04:12 UTC
The way to fix this is to just change your source path in WinDBG (Ctrl+P).

-scott

--
Scott Noone
Consulting Associate