Why .symfix and .sympath+ do this?
Pavel A.
2009-07-12 15:11:20 UTC
Could anybody explain why .symfix and .sympath+ behave not as documented
in v. 6.11.1.404?

For example: I start with empty .sympath, target is a kernel dump:

kd> .symfix C:\TMP\sym-windbg

kd> .sympath
Symbol search path is: srv*
Expanded Symbol search path is:
cache*C:\TMP\sym-windbg;SRV*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

From the docum (and past experience), the sympath should be
SRV*C:\TMP\sym-windbg*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols ?

Next, adding another path:

kd> .sympath+ D:\Proj\DUMPS\119

Symbol search path is: srv*;D:\Proj\DUMPS\119
Expanded Symbol search path is: cache*C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools
for Windows
(x86)\sym;SRV*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;d:\users\pavela\proj\dumps\119

Now the local cache (C:\TMP\sym-windbg) disappeared, and the default
path (C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\sym) has been
added...

Is something broken here??

Regards,
--pa