How to using USB debug cable to connection Host and Target!
Kun-Yi
2010-04-02 03:53:10 UTC
Hi all,
Currently, want to use WinDbg(6.12.002.633 x86)onWinXp to conntion
the Win7 target machine for Debugging AML/ACPI.

The target machine is Intel Calpella platform, So it was builtin
two ECHI controllers.The connectable port is on Port2/
HCD1(Bus0:Dev26:Func0, Intel 5 Serial/3400 series chipset - 3B34)

The platform BIOS level debugging is using the port!

But when I to follow WinDbg Online help to setting Boot configuration
to enable bootdebug and debug target machine. It still is failed. Host
always shot "wait to reconntion...."

So the Port must is "Port 1"/ECHI controller?
Joe_Chen
2010-06-29 08:43:00 UTC
Hey guys,
I have encountered the same problem. The USB cable is ajays usb 2.0 cable.
I'm not sure if my target machine has the ECHI controller.
How can i get the solution?
Don Burn
2010-06-29 10:46:21 UTC
The paper
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/foundation/drvdev_intro.mspx has a
good description of testing whether a set of systems have a chance to work
with USB debugging.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr
2010-08-31 13:57:36 UTC
Hi - is there a specification for such cable? Would traditional high speed
"PC to PC" USB cables work?

I was wondering about the Easy Transfer cable
(http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Easy-Transfer-Cable-Windows/dp/B002PAR0AQ/ref=pd_sim_e_1)
and similars... any tip?

MF

How can i get the solution?
Scott Noone
2010-08-31 15:11:32 UTC
Post by Miguel Ferreira
Hi - is there a specification for such cable? Would traditional high speed
"PC to PC" USB cables work?
I don't think so, you need a "USB 2.0 Debug Cable" that adheres to the USB
debugging spec
(http://www.intel.com/technology/usb/download/DebugDeviceSpec_R090.pdf)

Here's one:

http://bit.ly/9Bubgi

Note that we have those in the office here but no one has ever actually
tried plugging them in (we just bought some in case they disappeared off of
the planet).

You also need a EHCI controllers that support debugging, but I don't think
there's any way to determine if a controller has that support.

So.....Good luck!

-scott
--
Scott Noone
Consulting Associate
How can i get the solution?
Don Burn

How can i get the solution?
Scott Noone
2010-08-31 15:25:49 UTC
Does having an exposed port 1 on the EHCI controller imply debug support on
the controller? I thought debug support in the controller was a big part of
the mystery.

Thanks,

-scott
How can i get the solution?
Don Burn
2010-08-31 15:37:33 UTC
Scott,

It does not imply debug support, but if you don't have this as a
minimum you definitely do not have debug support. While I have tried
multiple times in the past, I have never gotten a working USB debug, and
those who have gotten it working indicate that its reliability is less
than desirable.

How can i get the solution?
Scott Noone
2010-08-31 15:43:27 UTC
Good point, better than nothing.

I had one student swear that it was the only debug transport they used and
that they loved it. It's the only story I can point to of anyone getting it
working anywhere (or even trying, for that matter).

-scott
How can i get the solution?
Joe_Chen
.
p***@gmail.com
2014-11-17 09:02:18 UTC
Post by Kun-Yi
Hi all,
I'm working as windows driver developer,For this i have Visual studio 2013 and WDK8.1 ,For debugging i have decided to use the USB debugging cable ,so i need a complete details of that cable i have searched lot for those details ans also i need a documentation on how to done the kernel mode debugging over USB by visual studio.
Thanks in advance