What does “AsyncTimerCallbackCompletion TimerInfo@” in !threadpool output mean?
bspr7ry02@sneakemail.com
2010-07-09 20:48:50 UTC
Hello,

Sometimes my application consumes 100 cpu. When I investigate crush
dumps in windbg I always see huge "request queue" in the log and I am
very suspicious of this huge amount of requests. Definitely I want to
know where they come from, but at the first place I don't quite
understand what it means. Does it mean that there are lots of waiting
timer callbacks or something else? If it's timer callbacks how to find
their sources?

0:000> !threadpool
CPU utilization 93%
Worker Thread: Total: 2 Running: 0 Idle: 2 MaxLimit: 200 MinLimit: 2
Work Request in Queue: 11943
AsyncTimerCallbackCompletion ***@0697a8e8
AsyncTimerCallbackCompletion ***@12b1f320
AsyncTimerCallbackCompletion ***@0697aa08
AsyncTimerCallbackCompletion ***@0697aff0
AsyncTimerCallbackCompletion ***@131bc718
--------------------------------------
Number of Timers: 30
--------------------------------------
Completion Port Thread:Total: 1 Free: 1 MaxFree: 4 CurrentLimit: 1
MaxLimit: 200 MinLimit: 2

The application doesn't use timers directly. That's why it is quite
unexpected output for me. But the application heavily use WCF and SQL
(DbConnections). I checked all alive timers in the process and most of
them are related to DbConnectionPool, some of them are related to
System.Web.* classes, but I cannot find relationship b/w these timers
and "AsyncTimerCallbackCompletion ***@..." records.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Alexei