Symbol proxy without virtual directory
Pieter
2007-12-11 02:47:01 UTC
We are moving our symbol proxy from an IIS server with a virtual folder to a
virtual IIS server, but we are unable to get the system running.
I.e. instead of "http://some.server.com/symbols" we now use
"http://symbols.server.com" where IIS uses the host header value of a DNS PTR
record.

We have applied exactly the same configuration between the server with no
virtual folder and the server with a virtual folder. We even created a
virtual folder on the new server, and using the virtual folder symproxy works.

The problem seems to be in how symproxy behaves when there is no subfolder.
I.e. "http://symbols.server.com/symbols/status" returns the proxy status page.
I.e. "http://symbols.server.com/status" returns 404.

The documentation states that the key under "Web Directories" must match the
name of the virtual directory, how do I tell symproxy that the root of this
server is the symbol server?

Regards
P.
Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]
2007-12-11 13:09:16 UTC
Hi,

I will spend some time on this issue and get back to you ASAP. Thanks

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]
2007-12-12 09:24:33 UTC
Hi,

Sorry for letting you wait.

Symproxy is not a frequently used tool in Microsoft, and there are not many
engineers be familiar with it. Anyway, I contacted one windbg developer for
this issue, below is some info:
"We believe that SymProxy is untested without using a virtual directory.
That said, what happens when the customer tries put the path information in
reg strings right within "Web Directories"? That may work.
I honestly don't know of any other experts on SymProxy to help you in my
absence."

So, you may give his suggestion a try to see if it works. Unfortunately,
this developer is currently on vacation, so if this does not work, you may
have to contact Microsoft CSS for an official case support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Pieter
2007-12-12 18:31:02 UTC
Hi Jeffrey

Normally the name of the virtual directory will be used in the "Web
Directories" registry as a sub-key. Your suggestion mentions I should put the
the "path information" in the "Web Directories" key, is that the physical
path of the web home folder?

If you can get me more help in January that is ok, or would you prefer I
open a case?

Regards
P.

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]
2007-12-13 03:14:48 UTC
Hi,

Yes, since we currently have no expert resource to support your issue yet,
I think contacting Microsoft CSS for a case support may be a better
approach. You may use netmon to get the trace of the failed interaction and
provide to the CSS support engineer.

Jamie Redding
2010-07-20 16:22:29 UTC
For anyone out there suffering the same problem, indeed moving the "SymbolPath" key up one level to the subkey "Web Directories" resolved the problem for me.

I think someone at MS needs to revise the doc supplied with symproxy (i.e. symhttp.doc).

Regards,
Jamie Redding: Software Support Engineer.
SN Systems Ltd

jeta wrote:

RE: Symbol proxy without virtual directory
12-Dec-07

------=_NextPart_0001_7AEFAE7

Hi

Yes, since we currently have no expert resource to support your issue yet,
I think contacting Microsoft CSS for a case support may be a better
approach. You may use netmon to get the trace of the failed interaction and
provide to the CSS support engineer.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards
Jeffrey Ta
Microsoft Online Community Suppor
------=_NextPart_0001_7AEFAE7

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg936\deff0\deflang1033\deflangfe2052{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\lang2052\f0\fs20 Hi
\par
\par Yes, since we currently have no expert resource to support your issue yet, I think contacting Microsoft CSS for a case support may be a better approach. You may use netmon to get the trace of the failed interaction and provide to the CSS support engineer.
\par
\par Thanks for your understanding.
\par
\par Best regards
\par Jeffrey Ta
\par Microsoft Online Community Suppor
\par
\par
------=_NextPart_0001_7AEFAE7D--

On Monday, December 10, 2007 9:47 PM
alia wrote:

[...]

------=_NextPart_0001_624108C

Hi

I will spend some time on this issue and get back to you ASAP. Thank

Best regards
Jeffrey Ta
Microsoft Online Community Suppor
ications

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx
------=_NextPart_0001_624108C

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg936\deff0\deflang1033\deflangfe2052{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\lang2052\f0\fs20 Hi,
\par
\par I will spend some time on this issue and get back to you ASAP. Thanks
\par
\par Best regards,
\par Jeffrey Tan
\par Microsoft Online Community Support
\par ==================================================
\par Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
\par http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/managednewsgroups/default.aspx#notifications.
\par
\par Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx.
\par ==================================================
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_624108C2--

------=_NextPart_0001_771BD3C6

[...]

\par Sorry for letting you wait.
\par
\par Symproxy is not a frequently used tool in Microsoft, and there are not many engineers be familiar with it. Anyway, I contacted one windbg developer for this issue, below is some info:
\par "We believe that SymProxy is untested without using a virtual directory. That said, what happens when the customer tries put the path information in reg strings right within "Web Directories"? That may work.
\par I honestly don't know of any other experts on SymProxy to help you in my absence."
\par
\par So, you may give his suggestion a try to see if it works. Unfortunately, this developer is currently on vacation, so if this does not work, you may have to contact Microsoft CSS for an official case support.
[...]
------=_NextPart_0001_771BD3C6--

On Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:31 PM
alia wrote:

Hi JeffreyNormally the name of the virtual directory will be used in the "Web
Hi Jeffrey

Normally the name of the virtual directory will be used in the "Web
Directories" registry as a sub-key. Your suggestion mentions I should put the
the "path information" in the "Web Directories" key, is that the physical
path of the web home folder?

If you can get me more help in January that is ok, or would you prefer I
open a case?

Regards
P.

""Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]"" wrote:

------=_NextPart_0001_7AEFAE7D

[...]

A MongoDb Cache Utility
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/93206c89-09c9-40fc-9296-7d74bb7996ad/a-mongodb-cache-utility.aspx
THE EAGLE
2010-10-06 12:50:21 UTC
thank youuuuuuuuu

‏‏كتب "Jamie Redding" في رسالة news:***@snsys.com...

pat styles [microsoft]
2010-10-09 22:47:11 UTC
?Hello Jamie.

The decision not to document the configuration of symproxy without a virtual
directory was deliberate. While it is physically possible to to do so, I do
not intend to document this fact in the near future. There are security
implications and we need to be careful what what is recommended to the
community. Sometimes it is best to limit documentation to what is
recommended instead of what is possible. With all security implications
come legal implications. I think you understand.

.pat styles [microsoft]