Windows XP Newsgroups???
Brian K
2010-09-29 04:50:34 UTC
What happened to all the Windows XP Newsgroups?
--
________
Brian M. Kochera

mailto:***@earthlink.net
Dee Earley
2010-09-29 08:00:47 UTC
Post by Brian K
What happened to all the Windows XP Newsgroups?
I expect they've been removed (from the MS servers).
MS plan to shutdown their Usenet servers at the end of the month.
They've been removing the groups in batches for the last 6 months or so.
--
Dee Earley (***@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
Pavel A.

Please reply to the group.)
Brian K

mailto:***@earthlink.net
Pavel A.
2010-10-05 08:52:06 UTC
Post by Brian K
Thanks Pavel. How is it a web page? Do I connect by typing
http://Technet.en-US.itproxpsp?
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itproxpsp/threads

There seems to be a parttern in forming these URLs.
For example to get URL for mdsn.en-us.vcgeneral ,
split it to three components separated by dots.

Then substitute:
http://social.{1}.microsoft.com/forums/{2}/{3}/threads"

which gives
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/threads

Regards,
--pa
Brian M. Kochera
Pavel A.
2010-10-05 21:33:44 UTC
It appears that most of WinXP forums belong to "Microsoft Answers":

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

The NNTP Bridge does not work with Answers forums.

(we probably never know why, because the Connect page for the Bridge
does no longer accept bugs and suggestions, and there are no more updates).

-- pa
Please reply to the group.)
Brian K
2010-10-06 07:25:23 UTC
Post by Pavel A.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
Thanks this is the group I was searching for.

mailto:***@earthlink.net
Dee Earley
2010-10-06 09:15:24 UTC
Post by Pavel A.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
The NNTP Bridge does not work with Answers forums.
(we probably never know why, because the Connect page for the Bridge
does no longer accept bugs and suggestions, and there are no more updates).
There was a beta of NNTPBridge for Answer, but i never got either of
them to work particularly well so just gave up on them.
--
Dee Earley (***@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
Hector Santos
2010-10-11 14:52:58 UTC
Post by Pavel A.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
The NNTP Bridge does not work with Answers forums.
(we probably never know why, because the Connect page for the Bridge
does no longer accept bugs and suggestions, and there are no more updates).
The wcLEX bridge works fine with Answers forum

http://opensite.winserver.com/wclex

In fact, Answers brand group works the best among the others. WcLEX is
still have to show the forum descriptions, which stop working for the
Microsoft brand group forums.
--
HLS