Symbol lookup delay in version 6.12
Alex D.
2010-10-05 23:59:03 UTC
Hello,

The following command

cdb
-z dump.dmp
-y \\sym\cache1;srv*\\sym\cache2*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
-c ".ecxr;k4;q"

can be much slower in version 6.12 than in 6.11.

According to Procmon, in order to find symbols for instance for MSO.DLL,
6.12 looks for

\\sym\cache1\<all-PDBs-and-DLLs>\<subfolders>\mso.dll,

while 6.11 looks only for

\\sym\cache1\MSO.DLL\<subfolders>\mso.dll.

(The search in \\sym\cache2 looks similar in both versions.)

Does anybody know how to restrict directory lookup in 6.12?

Best regards,

Alex D.
pat styles [microsoft]
2010-10-09 22:40:20 UTC
Hello Alex.

Might I ask how \\sym\cache1 was created and populated. Is there file
called "pingme.txt" in the root of it?

.pat styles [microsoft]

Alex D.
Alex D.
2010-10-11 00:08:03 UTC
Hello Pat,

\\sym\cache1 is populated by symstore.exe. Basically it has a bunch of .ptr
files referring to executables and their PDBs.

The empty pingme.txt is in the root.

Best regards,

Alex D.
..pat styles [microsoft]
pat styles [microsoft]
2010-10-11 18:36:24 UTC
Hello Alex.

Can you reply to me at the following address?